Before importing your data into Streak, first consider how you would like your data to be represented in your pipeline after the import.
#1 Prepare your pipeline
If your Google Sheet has columns laid out with headers, we recommend creating columns in your pipeline to match that data. For example, if your spreadsheet has a column titled "Region", you should add a new free-form column to your pipeline and title it "Region".
You can import as many or as few columns as you want from your spreadsheet. The only requirement is a Name column in your pipeline - this column is the "anchor" column. A best practice is to use a unique name for each row. You can add as many columns to your pipeline as you need.
Be sure to consider the different column types to find the best fit for your data, too. You may need to add a Date column instead of a Free form column, for example, depending on the data you're about to import.
#2 Prepare your data
Make sure the data you're importing is clean and ready. If you're importing a list of contacts into Streak, it would be good to have columns for email addresses, first names, last names, company names, and any other data you want to import.
As an example:
In column B we have the box name: Mari Provost, Neal Ismail, Sandy Li, and Laura Logan. Because contacts in Streak require first and last name, column C and D use formulas in Google Sheets to break the information from column B into first and last names. See here for some tips on Google Sheets.
#3 Use the Streak Importer Add-on in Google Sheets
In Google Sheets, under the "Add-Ons" menu, install the Streak Importer Add-on. Once done, select Start Importing and Streak will guide you through the following steps.
- Add your data to Sheets – If your sheet already has the data you need, you can continue to the next step. Otherwise, be sure to add the data you're looking to import into the sheet!
- Choose your pipeline – Choose a pipeline you would like to import into.
- Choose your box columns – Map your pipeline columns to your Google Sheets Columns. You cannot use a column for more than one field in Streak. If you don't want to edit your Google Sheet's column names, make a copy of the original Sheet, then change the column names, and import from the copy.
- Choose Your Contact Columns – Streak can create contacts from your sheet and automatically link them to the boxes created during import. If you're not importing contacts, you can also skip this step.
- Choose Your Organization Columns –Streak can also create Organizations during import. Map your Organization fields to your Google Sheets Columns or select to skip this step.
- Confirm the Advanced Importing Options such as Ignore header row or Create missing field options. If you are importing data into an existing Dropdown or Tag column in your pipeline, selecting the "Create missing field options" box will automatically create Dropdown/Tag choices for your column if they do not already exist.
After confirming, you'll get a Summary of the import with any errors highlighted and the number of boxes to be created on import (up to 5,000 boxes can be created per import).
If everything looks ready to go, click Start Import. When the import is complete, you can review the data in your pipeline.